Find the latest tips, tricks, & best practices on this Advantages of Utilizing Discounts blog!
Learn what the different features of the discount builder are, how to implement them, and best practices on how Alpine IQ Discounts can help you grow
Head to your Alpine IQ dashboard, and in the left-hand navigation under Marketing, click on Discounts. Before we set anything up, let's go over some Alpine IQ-specific terms:
- Tier Discounts - live static in the customer's wallet and require points to use. Think of these as a discount goal a customer can work towards by making more purchases
- Custom Discounts - only show up in a customer's wallet if they're eligible. An example is a birthday discount will show up in a customer's wallet on their birthday. These discounts do not require points
- Discount name - what the customer sees when they look at their list of available discounts. This is the What are you discounting? field in the discount builder
- Description - what the customer sees when they open the actual discount you created. This is the Discount short description field in the discount builder.
- Archived - discounts that are inactive but not deleted. You can toggle Archived to Show to see all archived discounts
- Relative expiration - a discount that expires based on when it gets added to a customer's wallet. An example is setting a birthday discount to expire 7 days it gets added to a customer's wallet
- Redemptions - the discount has been used
- Discount ID - the numerical value in the left column of your discounts table. Use this when creating discounts in your point-of-sale if the integration allows for discount redemption directly in the point-of-sale
- Is discounting cannabis products compliant in the state(s), municipalities that I operate in?
- Do I want to offer percentage-based discounts, hard money ($), accessories, free merch?
- If you're implementing Tiered Discounts, how many points will be needed for each Tier?
- Check out the FAQ section at the bottom of this page for more ideas on how to structure your discounts
This is where all of your active and archived (inactive) discounts live. If this is your first time logging in, toggle Archived to Show to see a list of default Tiered Discounts you use immediately or as a reference to build other discounts. A few notes on this page:
- ID: You'll need this if Alpine IQ is able to push discounts directly to your POS. You'll learn all about that towards the bottom of this page
- Opens: How many times a customer has looked at the discount
- Redemptions: How many times a customer has used the discount
- Expiration: Pretty straight forward but if you have a Relative Expiration set up, which will discuss shortly, this will say N/A even though there's technically an expiration date
- Last button on the right: this will "archive" your discount meaning it will render it inactive
- Action: Edit existing discounts
Now that we've touched on all the buttons, let's create your first discount
Organize your discounts by putting them in folders or Groups.
- Head to your Discounts page and click Create Group.
- Name the Group & select the discounts you want to be included in the group.
- Click the green > button to move selected discounts into the group.
- Click Save
If you select Treat this discount as a tier reward when creating the discount, it will automatically be added to the Tier Discounts group
To create your first discount, in the left-hand navigation bar, click on Marketing > Discounts, and in the top left-hand corner click on Create Discount. As you work through your first discount, refer to the section below for more information on the fields you come across
- Set your Discount Start Time and if needed, set a Discount Expiration. If the discount is running indefinitely, leave this blank
- Set a Relative expiration if you want to give customers a window in which they must redeem the discount before it expires. If you want a customer's birthday discount to expire 7 days after it gets added to their wallet, add a "7" in this field
- The What are you discounting field populates as a brief description of the discount in the customer's wallet
- The Discount short description is what the customer sees when they open the actual discount and also populates in grey under the What are you discounting field
- Upload discounts image is the image that shows up under the Discount Short Description
- Consent/disclaimer defaults to Discounts are not stackable and inventory is subject to change. Please be aware we can't guarantee availability but you can edit as you'd like. If you have a Relative Expiration set, this would be a good place to note, Discount expires X days from when it was added to your wallet
- What stores should have this discount in their wallet
- Select All Stores to make discount applicable to entire customer base
- If you are an MSO that operates stores in states that prohibit loyalty, only select stores from states that allow loyalty
- What audiences should have this discount in their wallet
- for Tiered Discounts select All Audiences
- for Custom Discounts select the audience that is eligible for that discount
- For birthday discounts you would select is their birthday as the audience
- Loyalty points required it the number of points that will be depleted from a customer's points balance if the discount is used. Use this for Tiered Discounts and leave it blank for Custom Discounts
- Integration discount settings
- Use Option 1 to pass discounts to your e-commerce platform so customers can redeem Alpine IQ discounts as they check out online. Check out our page to see which of our e-commerce partners offer this feature
Alpine IQ discounts passed to your e-commerce site can only be cart-wide. Product-specific or item level discounting is not supported at this time
- Use Option 2 if you do not use one of our integration partners and would like to provide customers with a discount code they can use online. We suggest using a one-time code to avoid duplicate discounting
- Can this discount be used more than one time?: Set this to (YES) when setting up new Tiered Rewards
- Treat this discount as a tier reward?: Set this to (YES) when setting up a new Tiered reward
- Allow discounts on orders lets you put a minimum or maximum order total that needs to be met or can not exceed in order to redeem the discount
Enabling the above will add a note to the discount that lets the customer know how much they need to spend to redeem the discount but since it doesn't affect the ability to redeem in the point-of-sale, the budtender must also ensure the order threshold is met
- Barcodes - Create a matching discount barcode in your point-of-sale and mirror it in this field. A barcode will populate on the discount itself that the budtender can scan and be applied to the order in the point-of-sale
Check with your point-of-sale provider to see if discount barcode creation is a feature available
Below is the standard discount redemption workflow if Alpine IQ's integration with your POS does not allow for discounts to be passed to the checkout screen. See our page to see which partners offer this feature
- The customer comes in and shows the budtender the discount on their phone
- If the customer does not have their phone, the budtender can pull up the customer's wallet via the Budtender View and complete the steps below for the customer
- The budtender asks the customer to click "redeem in-store" to ensure the discount is used and if applicable, points are depleted from the customer's wallet
- The budtender applies a mirrored discount in the point-of-sale
Discount creation in the point-of-sale
It's important to note that any discount created in Alpine IQ must be mirrored/created in your point-of-sale as well. So if you create a Birthday 10% OFF! discount in Alpine IQ, you'll also want to create an AIQ Birthday 10% OFF discount in your point-of-sale that the budtender can apply to the order
- Using the Budtender View, pull up the customer's wallet, select the available discount and click Redeem in-store for the customer
- If your POS allows for in-system discount redemption, you'll be able to apply the discount right in the POS. This is system dependent and you can find more information on your particular POS on our page
- You can set a Relative Expiration when creating the individual discount under Discount Settings. If you want a birthday discount to expire 7 days after it gets added to the customer's wallet, add a 7 in the Relative expiration field
Yes! This is particularly relevant for Tiered Discounts as customers can have enough points to redeem a discount that depletes points and still have plenty leftover to redeem the same discount at a later date. When you're creating a new discount, head to Redemption options at and toggle Can this discount be used more than one time to Yes
- Tiered discounts live statically in the customer's wallet and generally require points to redeem. This gives you customers a target points total to work towards to redeem discounts. These can be flat % or $ off values, or you can get creative and give customers the ability to redeem points for "Merch Bundles" or "Accessory Bundles"
- Custom discounts require that a customer meet the criteria of the discount and only show up in a customer's wallet when they meet that criteria. For instance, a Birthday Discount will only show up in a customer's wallet on their birthday because you selected the Is their birthday audience as being eligible or this discount when creating it
Search for your specific point of sale or e-commerce platform via to see additional platform-specific details on passing Alpine IQ discounts